Turmeric Porridge with Oats and Buckwheat
Created by Amy Jones on October 21, 2016
This will become your new favorite winter breakfast. It feels so comforting to sit on the couch on a cold day with a bowl of this porridge. If you’re feeling sick or just plain exhausted, give this bowl of warming goodness a go. Guaranteed to help you recover.
- 1 cup buckwheat - soaked overnight and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup gluten free whole oats - soaked overnight and rinsed well
- 6 dates - finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 heaped tbsp coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 pinches stevia powder or a few drops of stevia powder
Superfood Sauce for Topping:
- 1 heaped tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon maca
- 1 teaspoon lucuma
- 1 teaspoon carob
- bananas, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs for topping
Directions for Porridge:
- Place all the ingredients into a pot (except the coconut milk) and cook over a medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir regularly. Add a little water if it dries out.
- Once the buckwheat is soft add the coconut milk and simmer for a further five minutes until the Porridge has a thick creamy consistency. You shouldn't need to add any more milk for serving but you can if you prefer.
Directions for Sauce:
- Mix melted coconut oil with superfoods in a glass cup or bowl and stir vigorously until superfoods are mixed in.
- Pour over your porridge.